Professional Therapeutic Carers
Geraldton and Carnarvon
Do you have experience working with vulnerable children and young people and are looking for a new opportunity to be a part of a dynamic and specialised team?
The Out of Home Care programme at Parkerville Children and Youth Care Inc. provides a holistic, multi-disciplinary and therapeutic care service for vulnerable children. Our aim, as a team of committed staff, is to bring healing and growth to the lives of vulnerable children. The Professional Therapeutic Carer provides the primary and holistic care for up to 4 children who live in purpose-built homes on the Parkerville campus and throughout the community. The position is accountable to the Team Leader and senior staff members for the care of the children in line with Parkerville Children and Youth Care processes, case plan and individual care plans.
These are live-in roles in our group homes in Geraldton and Carnarvon, working 7 days on and 7 days off roster OR 10 days on and 4 days off (please reach out for more information on rostering requirements). You will play a pivotal role in the day to day life of these children in your care by providing support and care to guarantee a positive, homely environment. These roles can also be offered on a FIFO basis from Perth, funded by Parkerville CYC.
The Professional Therapeutic Carer supports the children and young people within Parkerville’s Family Group Homes by:
- Preparing meals, arranging clothing/laundry, driving to/from school and out of school activities, watching the children play sport and ensuring their home is clean and tidy,
- Provide appropriate support and assistance to deal with the problems of everyday life to children who may display a number of behaviours associated with abuse/neglect, trauma, attachment, separation, grief and loss,
- Assist children to develop social skills, problem solving and independent living skills as appropriate to their age and developmental level,
- Implement the Individual Care Plan for each child (which is developed by the team, in consultation with others and encompasses all areas of a child's life in a supportive, planned and purposeful manner.
The Professional Therapeutic Carer will also implement and support contact arrangements for children with natural parents and extended family members.
In addition to highly developed interpersonal and communication skills, the successful applicant will display the following:
- A relevant tertiary qualification (at least Diploma level) or 3 years of experience in a relevant role,
- Demonstrated ability to provide care experiences appropriate to the emotional and social needs of the children and set behaviour limits which are appropriate and non-punitive,
- A high level of energy, flexibility and creativity,
- Skills in caring for children and an understanding of child development.
Parkerville Children and Youth Care is uniquely positioned to provide the successful applicant with the following benefits:
- Competitive salary, dependent on skills and experience
- Salary packaging options and access to discounted health insurance plans
If this sounds like a role for you, please visit Professional Therapeutic Carers (parkerville.org.au) to view the Job Description and download the Employment Application Form, then submit your application consisting of:
- CV or Cover Letter
- Completed Employment Application Form
To discuss the role and your interest in it, please call Beki Smith, Programme Manager MWG, on 0418 407 310 during office hours.
Applications must be submitted by COB Monday, 17 May 2021. Applications will be dealt with on an as received basis and we reserve the right to close the advertisement early.
Parkerville Children and Youth Care Inc. has met the Safeguarding Children Standards set out by the Australian Childhood Foundation and received full Safeguarding Children accreditation in September 2019.
Our organisation is committed to safeguarding and promoting the safety of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share our commitment.
Our recruitment and selection processes reflect this commitment and will include criminal records and reference checks for successful applicants.
It is essential that all applicants meet the above criteria and are permitted to work and remain in Australia with no limitations.