Parkerville Children and Youth Care is now a participating Institution in the National Redress Scheme for people who have experienced historical child sexual abuse.

We are fully committed to supporting people who experienced child sexual abuse in the past to move forward in a way that is right for them and help with their healing. We would like to encourage anyone who experienced historical child sexual abuse to make contact with the National Redress Scheme or with any of the support services listed in the support section below.

Parkerville Children and Youth Care is available to respond to enquiries in relation to our organisation’s participation in the Scheme, however, we are unable to make comments on behalf of the Scheme and we are unable to receive applications on behalf of the Scheme. For more information on the National Redress Scheme, please visit or call the National Redress Information Line on 1800 737 377, or to make an enquiry around our participation in the Scheme please contact or call (08) 9235 7000.

To view Parkerville Children and Youth Care’s apology to past residents, please click here:


About the National Redress Scheme






The National Redress Scheme seeks to acknowledge the harm done and provide support to people who experienced institutional child sexual abuse. Redress can include access to counselling services, a direct personal response (e.g. an apology) for people who want one, and a redress payment.

The National Redress Scheme:

  • acknowledges that many children were sexually abused in Australian institutions,
  • holds institutions accountable for this abuse, and
  • helps people who have experienced institutional child sexual abuse gain access to counselling and psychological services, a direct personal response, and a monetary payment

The National Redress Scheme is in response to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse. The Scheme started on 1 July 2018 and will run for 10 years, applications can be made any time before 30 June 2027.

For information on the National Redress Scheme, visit or call 1800 737 377.


 Who can apply

You can apply to the National Redress Scheme if:

  • you experienced sexual abuse when you were a child (under 18 years) and
    • the abuse happened before 1 July 2018, and
    • an institution was responsible for bringing you into contact with the person who abused you, and
  • you were born before 30 June 2010, and
  • you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Your application may be processed differently if you:

  • were abused in an institution that hasn’t joined the National Redress Scheme
  • are under 18
  • have ever been sentenced to five or more years in gaol or
  • have already received a payment related to the abuse.

You cannot apply if you:

  • did not suffer sexual abuse
  • are in gaol (you can apply once you are released or earlier if there are exceptional circumstances);
  • have already received a court-ordered payment from the institution; or
  • have already applied for redress through the National Redress Scheme.

For more information, please visit


How to apply

You can apply to the National Redress Scheme online or using a paper form. You won’t be asked about your experience in front of a person or panel.

You can download the Application for Redress form from or have a copy sent to you by calling the National Redress Scheme on 1800 737 377. You can ask a Redress Support Service to give you a copy of the application form.

You can also apply online through myGov. You can create a myGov account at any time if you don’t already have one.

Before you apply you might like to think about who could give you support to apply if you would like it. You could speak to someone you already know and trust, or Redress Support Services can help.

For more information, please visit


National Redress Scheme Fact Sheets

For more information about the National Redress Scheme please see below for a range of useful factsheets. To find out more about the National Redress Scheme please visit or call 1800 737 377.


For more factsheets and for factsheets in other languages please click here:


Where can I get support?

Free and confidential Redress Support Services are available for anyone applying for, or considering applying for redress. These services are confidential and can help explain the Scheme, who can apply, provide emotional support and guide people through the application process.

A list of support services is available on the website here:

If you feel you need immediate support, the following organisations are here to help:

  • Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636
  • Lifeline – 13 11 14
  • 1800 Respect – 1800 737 732
  • Suicide Call Back Service – 1300 659 467
  • Mensline – 1300 78 99 78
  • In an emergency call Triple Zero (000)


Other Useful Links

Access WA Department of Communities Records

If you were a State Ward, there may be a file on you held by the Department of Communities – Child Protection and Family Support. Please do be aware however that this is not always the case, and that there may not be a file. Records have sometimes been poorly kept, been lost or have disappeared over the years.


Access your previous Redress WA Application

Former RedressWA applicants are able to access a copy of their application via the above link.


Signposts: a guide for children and young people in care in WA from 1920

Signposts aims to help adult care leavers who were placed in residential, out of home care as children – or who have lived in Supported Accommodation as a young person – find records and other documents related to their time in those facilities. The publication contains information and contact details for more than 200 facilities that provided some sort of residential, out-of-home care in Western Australia from 1920, and sometimes even earlier, as well as the history of institutions, where known.


Find & Connect

Find & Connect is a website for Forgotten Australians and Former Child Migrants. It brings together historical resources relating to institutional care in Australia. You can use it to

  • read information about and view images of children’s Homes
  • get help to find records about your childhood in care
  • connect with support groups and services in your state/territory