The Support and Counselling Service (SACS) engages with the children (aged between 4 – 14 yrs) of families living in Family Supported Accommodation (in Perth’s northern suburbs including City of Swan ). The WA State Homelessness Task Force identified that children from families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness as the most vulnerable group in WA communities. SACS works alongside Supported Housing and Accommodation programmes to deliver a comprehensive service focused on the individual needs of each client.
SACS has developed a wide range of services and networks to assist families to address these issues. We focus on the child as our client however we work closely with the whole family with the hope of bringing about sustainable change for a brighter future.
Families who have experienced periods of homelessness or at risk of homelessness may have dealt with or may currently be dealing with many complex issues such as;
- Past or present abuse and neglect
- Educational problems
- Development delays and exclusions
- Low self-esteem
- Financial hardship
- Social isolation
- Drug and/or alcohol problems
- Behavioural issues
- Parenting issues
- Parenting support
- Education and vocation support
- Court and Justice assistance
- Practical supports such as transport
- Provide links to community and recreational and sporting organisations and specialist support services
- School holiday program and group programs including Protective Behaviours
SACS welcomes referrals from the Support and Tenant Education Programme (STEP) and agencies supported the National Partnership Agreement on Homelessness ( NPAH) and the National Affordability Housing Agreement ( NAHA ), the Department for Child Protection and Family Support, Homeswest and self- referrals.
Family Outreach Coordinator